Monday, June 8, 2009

Day Zero. 6/7. KOA Warrenton

Day 0. Sunday June 7, 2009.

I quit.

We decided to do one night of supported camping on Sunday, out in Warrenton, before pedaling out on the trek proper, just to try out the camping part. This did turn up a small problem. We hit the sack around 10 pm in my 7x7 dome tent. At 3 am, having gotten maybe one or two hours of sleep, I hauled my pad and sleeping bag across the driveway and slept on a picnic table. Chris' snoring was so loud, so continuous, and so ever-changing, I could not tune it out.

I had plenty of time to observe, experiment, and think over the options as I lay awake. It didn't seem to matter whether he was on his back, right side, or left side. Covering my ears helped only a little, lying with my head to his feet not at all. In the end the only options I saw were separate tents or sleeping in shifts.

Chris was mortified the next morning that he had snored me out of the tent. "I didn't hear you at all." We went and bought another small tent at Fred Meyer. I also picked up a lighter-weight sleeping bag and a new bike helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment